The History of Croydon, Victoria, Australia

Croydon is a town in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia situated roughly 28 km east of Melbourne's . It has a populace of almost 27,000 people. The area that eventually became Croydon was first used during the 1840’s by settlers for grazing of farm animals. The very first road in the location was labeled Sawmill road due to a sawmill close by. Later it was changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was altered to what it is identified these days as Mt Dandenong Road. The area itself was initially known as White Flats as the place was heavily populated by a coarse silvery-white type grass. The name of Croydon was presented to it from the Lacey family that came from Essx, England who named it after the Croydon in the United Kingdom that was Mrs. Lacey's hometown. Nearby the present Main St shopping area is a road named after the Lacey family.

Parcels of land in the region were initially mapped in 1868 and the area was first officially habituated with the location emphasizing the farming of sheep, dairy and beef. There were several sawmills set up. Next, there have been orchards which incorporated apples, cherries, pears, peaches in addition to plums which did well. A number of the current street names close by Croydon today reflect that first development. In 1874 Cobb & Co started a service using horses and carts to the area. A rail track to the place was opened on 1 December 1882 and the rail station was referred to as Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte which was deceiving as that region was a horse and coach journey 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it had been renamed to become known as the Croydon train station. From the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish built his home and started a few other small business ventures that involved a general store, news agency, butchers store along with a hotel. Also, he founded various orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was exposed on 1 December 1883. The nearby Nelson's Hill Post Office opened in 1902 and it was subsequently renamed Burnt Bridge in 1979. In Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall had been constructed. Croydon was eventually proclaimed and gazetted as being a town in 1912.

In 1920 a Monday market was began in Croydon including live animals, chickens, other birds along with other small animals. It became a famous landmark in the community and a well-known meeting spot for locals from neighbouring suburbs until the site was re-constructed in the 80s. The market was eventually shut down in 2012. Administratively, Croydon was initially part of the thing that was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a demand was presented by officers for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and become its very own overseeing entity. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was declared as a City in 1971. Later on, it was merged, in addition to the City of Ringwood to become the City of Maroondah in 1994. These days, the Main Street of Croydon is a booming area heart with almost 200 shops.