After purchasing and installing your window air conditioning unit, whether it is a wall-mounted air conditioner or a wall-mounted heat pump, it is important to carry out maintenance on a regular basis. Lack of maintenance on your appliance could increase your energy bills by 10 to 25% in addition to reducing its lifespan. Here are some tips to increase the life of your window air conditioner and optimize its energy efficiency.
Note: When cleaning your device, you should turn it off in order to avoid injury or electric shock. If you are working on the outdoor unit, turn off the power!
- Adjust the air conditioner thermostat and, as much as possible, avoid continually changing the setting.
- Clean regularly, approximately every month, or more, if the filter is dusty, the filter of the internal module. It is through this system that your air conditioner removes heat and humidity from your home. If the filter is clogged your appliance will tend to consume more power for the same job.
- Also make sure that the indoor module is not obstructed by furniture or any other object, reducing its efficiency.
- For the outdoor unit, make sure that the unit has maximum clearance in order to operate properly. Remove any build-up of grass or tree limbs that could prevent the air conditioner from working.
- Make sure during operation that no abnormal sound comes from the air conditioner modules. If the start and stop cycle of your air conditioner is short, this may indicate a problem with the thermostat.
In all cases, have your wall-mounted air conditioner and wall-mounted heat pump checked and maintained on a regular basis in order to increase its lifespan, energy efficiency and even premature replacement of your device can be avoided. In summary, your air conditioning unit requires regular maintenance, so call an expert to ensure its proper functioning. If you don’t want to indulge in the maintenance of an air conditioner, then you should buy a window air conditioner. You can go through consumer reports to find the best air conditioner for your home. Window air conditioners once installed need no maintenance except annual servicing, which is quite affordable and can be done by the owner as well.